Re: Good movies

---------

From: Christa Wise (cwise_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 14 2002 - 08:25:25 PDT

Devine Entertainment's "Artists Specials" might work. The series is
uneven (or maybe it is because my students are older), but my classes all
liked the one about Mary Cassatt starring Amy Brenneman. They are
recommended for kids in grades 3-8, but my ninth graders got hooked.

The others are on Winslow Homer, Rembrandt, Goya, Monet, and Degas. I
showed Mary Casatt first and then they wanted to see the others too. The
videos are feature length and were shown intermittently on Saturdays on
HBO. I guess you would call them historical fiction. The Cassatt one is
about the visiting nieces and nephew from America and how Mary eventually
wins them all over (including the surly adolescent). Many of the scenes
were direct recreations of her paintings. I showed those first and asked
the kids to look out for them.
Christa

At 09:04 AM 5/14/02 EDT, you wrote:
>My students (Secondary) love Agony and Ecstacy about Michelangelo. Other
than
>Lust for Life, does anyone have a movie they recommend? I am looking for G
or
>PG rating about an artist but not a documentary.
>Beth
>
>---

---