Job Posting

---------

From: PROPST, JAN (THSJMP01_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 14 2002 - 06:40:12 PDT

West Ottawa High School, in Holland Michigan, is looking for a 4th art teacher in an expanding art department. This will be the second year in a row we have the opportunity to add another art teacher because of growing enrollment. We currently teach grades 10-12.

 Introduction to Art (full year) as a prerequisite class for semester courses: Drawing and Painting, Sculpture and Ceramics, Printmaking, Industrial Design, Metal and Fiber Design, and Computer Graphics. We also have a full class of AP Studio(27 students). Our National Art Honor Society meets every other week for evening workshops and travels to Chicago every year.

The exciting thing is that we are looking to build a new high school (if the bond passes on June 10, and we are hopeful), The new teacher will be sharing rooms initially, but will have say in new room design, along with developing a new curriculum. The new configuration will be two high schools, grades 9-12. The three teachers you will be working with, along with the 9th grade teacher, are inventive, supportive, and have a wicked sense of humor. Our K-12 art department has a total of 13 teachers.

Holland has two school districts, West Ottawa being the largest in Ottawa County. It is located on Lake Michigan and is a wonderful place to live and raise children. In spite of it being somewhat conservative, we have had tremendous support of art education both within our schools and in our community. Holland has many galleries and is located North of Saugatuck and Douglas, two towns noted for art creating and viewing. We're about 40 minutes from Grand Rapids, and 2 !/2 hours from Chicago. Grand Valley State, Kendall College of Art and Design, and Hope College are all nearby,

Although the job hasn't been formally posted yet, we have been told its a "pretty sure thing", so you are invited to send in an application. The beginning base salary is about $34,000 with Messa insurance. You may wish to go to our school website at www.westottawa.k12.mi.us, and check 'human resources' for additional info.

Feel free to give me a call
Jan Propst
616-786-1168

---