art and children with autism

---------

From: Merrilee (gladrag_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 14 2002 - 03:54:52 PDT

I have worked with children with autism in various degrees for several years
now. The advice about checking the IEP is a good piece. Usually my kids
come with aides to assist and they really know the kids well and can help
them. Keeping it simple is good, but I've seen the art run the gamut from
having one boy who could discuss any great art you showed him...lots of
trouble with fine motor but brilliant....to a child who was drawn to the
taste of metal and scissors in the mouth became an issue. Another child now
begs to draw in her sketchbook as a reward and another still is just shear
joy in art. It runs the whole course of behaviours and severities of
symptoms. So much to learn about this, I could used some PD on the topic, I
tell you. Hope you have as much support as I have had with aides, etc.
Merrilee

---