NC teachers- please respond

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 13 2002 - 07:39:03 PDT

Aghhhhh! No sooner had I written the list to boost how "nothing could be
finer than doing national boards in North Carolina" than it was announced
that NC may lose it's national board support. We need as many teachers in
NC and national board supporters to write, call, and e-mail as soon as
possible. Because NC has led the nation in national board support, this
could have a ripple effect on every other state that was considering
offering support in the future. Michelle Harrell

PLEASE READ AND RESPOND!

Because of the budget crisis, the Education Appropriations Committees of the
NC House and Senate are looking at cutting the National Board line item.
This would mean that there would be no more money to pay for candidates. It
would also mean the end of the program as we know it in our state. We would
certainly no longer lead the nation in the number of NBCTs, and we would
know longer be able to provide our teachers with this phenomenal
professional development.

NOW IS THE TIME FOR YOU TO CALL YOUR LEGISLATORS. Please don't think that
someone else will do it or that you'll do it later or that you don't know
what to say. Tell them the difference the NBC process makes in improving
teaching. Tell them the difference it has made in your students' learning.
Tell them that it has kept you in teaching. Tell them the things you always
tell me about the difference it makes. You are much more powerful than I am
in telling these stories.

You may contact your legislators by calling 919-733-4111 or by writing to
The Honorable ______, NC General Assembly, Raleigh 27603. If you don't know
the name of your representative and senator, contact NCAE or AFT or another
professional organization or look on the General Assembly website.

Please share this message with candidates and other NBCTs. Please do not
discourage candidates from applying. The more applications we have, the
better. I believe that our friends in the General Assembly want to do all
they can to keep this program.

It is particulary important that you contact members of the leadership.
They are: Senators Basnight, Dalton, Lucas, Lee, Plyler, and Garrou, and
Representatives Easterling, Gene Rogers, Boyd-McIntire, Black, and Redwine.
Gov. Easley and Lt. Governor, who support this program, should also hear
from you. Handwritten letters are especially effective with legislators.
Please let me know what kind of response you get.

Thank you for all you do for our kids and our profession. Thank you, too,
for your leadership in this effort.