Re: flat files.....

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 12 2002 - 16:34:00 PDT

on 5/13/02 1:10 PM, Bunki Kramer at bkramer@srvusd.k12.ca.us wrote:

> If you're interested in getting some flat files, you might try calling some
> architectural firms to see if they would have some old ones to donate. Or
> maybe call your community business group to pass the word along to it's
> members. It's worth the effort. Toodles....Bunki

right on, bunki. it is amazing what kinds of things are "out there" not
being used. i live in the detroit area and my district got a huge donation
of nearly new flat files from one of the auto companies and (gasp!!) turned
them down!!! this was before i had contacted the head of the warehouse to
inquire about them. as it turned out there were 2 in my building that were
full of classroom materials from the 1950s that (of course) no one was
using, so i cleaned them out and put them to great use.
another indispensible piece of "throw-away" equipment i use is the old
dry-mount press - the antique version of the laminating machine. i heat it
up and "iron" the kids' pictures in it. voila! no more wavy papers! i say
check around in the basement of your building or district warehouse and see
what's there that you can put to good use.

linda in rainy, rainy michigan where the grass is growing at the rate of
about 1" an hour.

---