Re: Art on a cart(longish post)

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 12 2002 - 19:37:07 PDT

I taught on a cart for 7 years. I never used buckets for water - I used plastic cups with lids - just distribute to the students, and then for clean up I just pop the lids back on and rinse at my leisure. Since classes avg. 24 students tops I carried 12 water cups for students and 12 tempera cake sets. I had students slide their desks together and share with whomever was next to them. It is all about organization! I don't do clay with my elementary students due to logistics - lack of budget, storage space, and transportation problems of clay to high school to be fired and back. I have organizational tips on my page that shows how I organized my cart and the centers I have.
~Michal
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

  I'm interviewing for an art on a cart position, not my first choice, but a possibility. I know that an art on a cart string went through already, but I am looking for specific tips. For example...how are painting and ceramics handled. I've taught for eight years in a room and had them set up for 6-7 groups. How is it done with individual desks? I know about the buckets, but how do you set up the paint for each individual student? Also, I am looking for ice breaker activities. The school district I am considering has only a 6% turn over rate..so the students know each other quite well. I've used ice breaker activities before but in schools where there was a large number of new students next year and they had to get to know each other. Have any suggestions on how I can get to know them and vice versa? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.