Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: scratch art

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 12 2002 - 19:18:24 PDT

from: Bunki Kramer (
Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

> I hate to sound extravagant, but doesn't anybody else buy scratch board
> already inked? And use the tools that are made for it?
> Janealla

I teach mid. school and use scratch boards pre-inked. I like either the
black on white or black on silver. We tried the black on gold but both the
kids and I didn't particularly like them as well.

I've also used the black paper on full-color black on green,
black on red, black on pink...the package comes with several colored sheets
pre-ink and can be scratched with a stick.

The black on white or silver boards are scratched with ink pen holders with
diff. pen points. Once you invest in a set of pen holders, the cost of the
tools is next to nothing as the points last a long time.

I like to work with white pencil on black paper first before we do scratch
boards because they can get the idea of NOT outlining before they get the
boards. Saves a lot of disappointing "first tries" and wasted boards.