Re: scratch art

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 11 2002 - 19:55:01 PDT

Yes, I do! I use the multi-colored with white ink for my middle school
students to recreate an Edvard Munch artwork of their choice (most choose
"The Scream"). I use this as a one day sub lesson, and the kids love it
cause it's bright and looks good when finished. I like it because it allows
them to explore scratchboard briefly (in a 12 week course everything is
brief!) and they recognize Munch's style and artworks. For my high school I
purchase mainly the gold and silver since these are the most popular. I have
had 2 students take first place at our local museum's student art exhibit
with their scratchboards. The last time I made scratchboards it seemed to
take so much class time just coloring that I decided it wasn't worth it. I
don't use the tools made for it (hey, gotta cut somewhere!) but my students
use toothpicks, the pointed craft sticks, clay tools, and whatever else they
discover works.
~Michal