Re: Visual Culture and the Venus of Willendorf

---------

From: greg sharp (eldoradoreefgold_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 11 2002 - 15:41:56 PDT

 anton lachaise.....venus of willendorf eat your heart out!!!!!eldoradoreefgold@yahoo.com
  dawn stien <dawnstien@yahoo.com> wrote: --- crago@artic.edu wrote:

> Dear People,
>
> Okay everybody here is an idea for the group and
> let's have fun with it! Look up
> the "Venus of Willendorf" in your art history books

Well this sounds much more fun that reading at the
moment, so here I am - debating on whether I would
introduce the historical image first, the Barbie, or
have the students bring in images of female ideals.

The production area is really the direction my mind
headed, and it has taken me to the fetish arena.

I think I would have students address the use of
materials and then talk about how they interact with
the meaning of the object.

Ultimately they would be responsible for creating a
fetish using a material that is significant to its
meaning. Something soft, something rough, something
fragile??

If only such an object could bring me good luck, I'd
start right away.

Dawn