You will decide - vcae

---------

Tortolitascom_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat May 11 2002 - 15:42:38 PDT

I tend to think that VCAE IS "up in the air" for the moment; just getting into play and open to processes of adaption as well as adoption.

At the moment I believe that the NAEA's Caucus on Social Theory & Art Education is the authority on Visual Culture. and the best person to ask questions of is Paul Duncum <pduncum@utas.edu.au> or maybe Kevin Tavin <KTAVIN@artic.edu> for anything specific to critique.

One of the questions that kept coming up in the context of social and pedagogic issues when I was in school was "Who gets to decide?" I suppose its as pertinant to teaching art as anything else. YOU get to decide! Art teachers. Visual Culture appears to be the next paradigm in Art Ed. Increasingly the student teachers visiting your classroom will be conversant in VCAE and you get to show them how YOU use it and what it means in the real classroom. They get another perspective out of it.

Sooner or later someone is going to ask you about VCAE. You get to decide what it means.

-henry