a silent class on friday?

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 11 2002 - 07:58:07 PDT

Yes, I have to share how I did the impossible!
I had a class of 6th graders Thursday that drove me
crazy. They are highly energetic and loveable, but
they were just too much that day. We are finishing up
a foil repousse project, which always seems to take a
few a long time, and others just a day or two. So
inevitably, I had quite a few who were already
finished Thursday when we don't start a new project
until Monday. The students are quite aware of my
center for those who finish early, which includes a
file of activity sheets to color or do puzzles, a few
art books, and drawing paper with a list of ideas for
collage, paintings, and drawings.
So, I wrote this on my board for them to read when
they came in: "Non-verbal Communication Today. please
write or draw any questions you might have for me"
Then I read the list of drawing/painting/collage ideas
to them (turns out that they of course hadn't read
them on their own- so this generated many ooh's and
ahh's) So- they got their paper, finished their
projects if necessary, or worked on alternative
assignments- and were completely silent the whole
period. We gave each other "thumbs up", smiled or
frowned, shrugged, pointed, etc. It was great. They
gave me the peace that I needed and were extremely
productive in the process.

Jayna