Re: How many more days/weeks?

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 10 2002 - 21:31:57 PDT

Ken says
> I know this will sound weird but we seem to look like people who don't like
> our profession. This reoccurring theme of I can't wait until it's over and I
> have only "X" days until the pain is gone is disturbing. I thought this list
> was full of dedicated teachers who liked teaching art and started the year
> with neat ideas and cool solutions to last years problems. If we dwell on the
> complexity of our job, and I'm no different then all of you, and the hardships
> we go through, how are we going to dismiss the kid who comes up to you at the
> end of the year and says, " Yours was the best class I ever had and I learned
> so much, you are my favorite teacher and I will never forget you." This is
> why we teach go through pain, and go through hardship because we make a
> difference and we make it when we don't even know it.

I think it's perfectly obvious that this list is jam packed with dedicated
teachers. Who would be on this list and put up with the 100 a day e-mails if
it wasn't for dedication?

I think none of us disregards those special experiences with students that
appreciate our efforts. But those moments don't come without a lot of hard
work and work that often feels unappreciated -- until those moments occur.

My stresses and distresses come mostly from administration - not the kids.
A 3 hour meeting last night filled with noting but jargon -- another one
coming up Monday. I could listen to and deal with the kids all summer long.
But I'm counting the days to when there are no memos in my mailbox, no new
initiatives not carefully planned out, no phone calls....

Ah, if my days were only spent with the kids... and just teaching art.
and when I get out on June 17th I have 4 courses to rewrite and revise
curriculum before I return on Aug 26 Kiss this summer goodbye
and people think we leave at 3 and have summers off

Patty,
counting the days until she doesn't come to an office at 6:45 AM and the red
message button is not flashing on her telephone

---