Re: How many more days/weeks?

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 10 2002 - 21:23:01 PDT

Ken, I understand what you're saying. While I have 9 more contact days with students, and then start classes of my own to renew my teaching certificate, I am feeling abit melancholy about the end of the school year for many reasons. First and foremost I am losing many of my favorite seniors. I have taught most of these kids for 8 years and it feels like I'm losing my own. Also, my hours have been cut to 3/4 time and I am fighting it through NEA, so as I go through these last days I feel as if things are changing. That is my personal emotions. As for my students, I have one who told me today that the only way she made it through high school was the thought of coming to my class everyday. I still have 2 art shows and 4 classrooms to close down - 3 of those classrooms require boxing everything up due to renovations. So I am feeling abit overwhelmed! On the other hand, once sumer break arrives I can rejuvinate out by my pond! :-)
~Michal

  I know this will sound weird but we seem to look like people who don't like our profession. This reoccurring theme of I can't wait until it's over and I have only "X" days until the pain is gone is disturbing. I thought this list was full of dedicated teachers who liked teaching art and started the year with neat ideas and cool solutions to last years problems. If we dwell on the complexity of our job, and I'm no different then all of you, and the hardships we go through, how are we going to dismiss the kid who comes up to you at the end of the year and says, " Yours was the best class I ever had and I learned so much, you are my favorite teacher and I will never forget you." This is why we teach go through pain, and go through hardship because we make a difference and we make it when we don't even know it.