Re: elementary to high school - special ed. college?

---------

From: Sue Stewart (Sue_Stewart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 10 2002 - 07:33:26 PDT

artsednet@lists.getty.edu writes:
>As the mother of a child with Down Syndrome who, after being successfully
>mainstreamed in high school really YEARNED to go to college, I must write.
>Katie attends Noorthoek Academy, a school within the local community
>college. She has a college I.D. In class, she studies about different
We have many spec ed students who go on to tech and local colleges - under
the American Disabilities Act, each institution has a plan for dealing
with special students. I was particularly gratified to see how our local
art academy sets up tutors and help for those students to get through the
required classes as many have special talents in art and related subjects
and just need a cushion.

Sue E. Stewart
Sumner High School

---