Re: elementary to high school - special ed. college?

---------

From: Christa Wise (cwise_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 10 2002 - 07:10:00 PDT

As the mother of a child with Down Syndrome who, after being successfully
mainstreamed in high school really YEARNED to go to college, I must write.
Katie attends Noorthoek Academy, a school within the local community
college. She has a college I.D. In class, she studies about different
cultures, animals, and does creative writing. She wants to continue
learning and have a peer group to hang with as much as you or I, but her
opportunities all but disappear after High School. After a year of class
work, two hours once-a-week, she got a certificate for one CEU this spring.
I don't think that is too big a gift, nor too big an embarassment for you.
Christa.

At 06:55 PM 5/9/02 EDT, you wrote:
>Hey, just found out that they are letting ESE kids into college on a special
>ed-program. How much lower than they make the standards for college in
>Florida? I'm embarrassed.
>
>---

---