RE: Visual Culture articles

---------

From: Esa Tipton (tmtartseducation_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 03:36:43 PDT

These are good articles -

the only point of information I would like to add here
is just some
background information on the McDonald's overlooking
Tiennamen Square
(having lived in Beijing) - the building McDonald's is
in was going to be
torn down by the government and McDonald's saved it by
making it a
pre-condition that the building wasn't demolished. It
took a long time to
negotiate it and in the end, they were able to save
the site. It remains
the only historical building on the square now, with a
kind of ironic
juxtaposition of the large McDonald's neon.

In this case, the surface appearance is a triumph of a
different kind.
There's more behind the surface, which in turn,
reinforces Duncum's
point as well.

Try also looking at Suzanne Blier's "Crisis and
Creativity: The Social
and Cultural Roots of Artistic Florescence"
http://web-dubois.fas.harvard.edu/dubois/baobab/narratives/theory/theoretical.html

and Gustavo Fischman's "Reflections about images,
visual culture, and educational research" in
Educational Researcher vol. 30 no. 8, pg. 28-33,
November 2001

http://www.uic.edu/classes/ad/ad382/sites/AEA/AEA_06/AEA_06b.html

leave-artsednet-7600Y@lists.getty.edu