Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

RE: Visual Culture articles

From: Esa Tipton (tmtartseducation_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 03:36:43 PDT

These are good articles -

the only point of information I would like to add here
is just some
background information on the McDonald's overlooking
Tiennamen Square
(having lived in Beijing) - the building McDonald's is
in was going to be
torn down by the government and McDonald's saved it by
making it a
pre-condition that the building wasn't demolished. It
took a long time to
negotiate it and in the end, they were able to save
the site. It remains
the only historical building on the square now, with a
kind of ironic
juxtaposition of the large McDonald's neon.

In this case, the surface appearance is a triumph of a
different kind.
There's more behind the surface, which in turn,
reinforces Duncum's
point as well.

Try also looking at Suzanne Blier's "Crisis and
Creativity: The Social
and Cultural Roots of Artistic Florescence"

and Gustavo Fischman's "Reflections about images,
visual culture, and educational research" in
Educational Researcher vol. 30 no. 8, pg. 28-33,
November 2001

> Paul%20Duncum/Public/Future.doc
> Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and
> great gift ideas. Experience the convenience of
> buying online with Shop@Netscape!
> Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Mail account
> today at
> ---

Do You Yahoo!?