elementary to high shcool ?

---------

From: Carolyn Keigley (Carolyn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 17:48:51 PDT

Hi !
I am thinking of a change in my current career and I would like to get some advise.
Currently I am teaching first and second grade students in a regular class. I teach all academic subjects through the arts - visual and performing arts. I really enjoy the nurturing that I can give and that I receive from this age group but I miss teaching just art and this age group is very draining due to their age. I have the opportunity to move to our high school as the art teacher. I've taught college studio art and art education, and years ago I did my student teaching at the high school level.

Okay, so here's my questions -

Has anyone else out there made this change and how has this affected you?
How does classroom management differ between the age groups?
Do you have more or less energy and time for your own art work?
Currently, I have my curriculum down to where I can produce a lot of work after school. Will I find that true while teaching high school art?

Anything else that I should know?

Thanks, Carolyn

---