Re: RE: Visual Culture art ed questions

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 22:14:27 PDT

Boy, I'm having a hard time getting to the meat of VCAE because it seems
like we're engaging in some sort of semantic comp etition to see who can
use the most illusive and vague words in one sentence....As I'm trying to
understand it, the object is to eliminate elitism from art and bring it
down to the masses--not unlike pop art objectives. I remember seeing a
magazine article a couple of years ago with a 65 yr. old woman wearing
Hillfiger t-shirt, gap shorts, roller blades, a nike cap, vaurnet
sunglasses, a ball cap (pardon all the bad spellings here) and carrying
her
water bottle--the caption was "When everyone is cool, is anyone cool?" I
think that this is sort of a catch 22 here--we as artists are always
struggling to think outside the box, lead creative expression--basically
start the trends. It's one thing to say get rid of all the dead white
guys in art, but the elitism is pretty much to the core--at least in our
culture when we like novelty. Are we happy with carving the perfect
totems in the style handed down by our ancestors?
Our culture seems to need something new and different about every 15
minutes--which is why we need to eliminate DBAE and grow into VCAE which
is a great irony if you think about it. Sid

# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko High School #
# College Avenue #
# Elko, NV 89801 #