Re: RE: Visual Culture art ed questions

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 22:08:39 PDT

I am a little hesitant to respond because I still
haven't been able to take in much background
literature., but here goes...

--- Esa Tipton <tmtartseducation@yahoo.com> wrote:
 It questions the dialogue we have learned
> to repeat about what is important and from my point
of view, let's our students engage with the material
> from new reference points.

I'm fine with this perspective,
I'm not too crazy Crispin's viewpoints on aesthetics:

> I'd like to go back to Crispin's thinking by saying
> that aesthetics, as it as evolved, is not really
> intended for the non-educated layperson to
> understand,
> or for that matter, the post-modern aesthetic
 displayed in museums. It is a specialized field of
> study for intellectuals in academic circles.

It's just a little bit dismissive, at least to me as
an educator. But I will consider it.

My unfounded impression is that Crispin is the
equivilant of a postmodern Clive Bell, in the sense
that you get it or you don't.

> I will go further that the model we use in DBAE is
> structurally flawed in terms of incorporating what
> we
> know about visual processing and brain-based
> learning,
> how students best learn and how to engage them in
> their own processes.

brain based - meaning making multiple connections and
activating whatever it is that gets activated when we
base things on our experiences and prior knowledge,
etc.? I don't know anything about visual processing
at this point... Is this about content/context
issues? I am interested in finding out more. Is this
something that has also been written about that
specifically addresses DBAE?

Dawn in Houston