Re: Visual Culture and the Venus of Willendorf

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 17:51:04 PDT

Michelle writes
> Also, I don't really organize my curriculum chronologically according to art
> history so this lesson could fit as easily into the end of the year as well
> as the beginning.

That's the great, best, thing about art - there is no chronology - only
universality's

if we truly look at the messages, everything is nothing more than a cave
painting--
    only documentation at various levels of sophistication

the themes don't seem to change
only the technology

and all this talk about VCAE or DABE is only that - talk that justifies
the ivory tower types

Pratt Institute used to produce a poster that proclaimed
Art is the first Language
and is it not?

art is all about conveying in a universal language where you don't need a
dictionary
where you get it
because someone has seen it and knows how to convey it

there is nothing new about talking about symbols
and the gist of what I get about VCAE is interpreting signifiers to a
culture.
Come on guys, isn't that what we do everyday?

Patty

---