Re: Visual Culture and the Venus of Willendorf

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 13:57:44 PDT

Why critique ?
It's an object not intended as art
an object we can only speculate about
Is it art? is it good art or bad? is it just an object of a culture to be
valued because someone, somehow thought there was some significance in
making a representation? What it says about the society that took the time
to create it is the value, no?

I do a lesson with my WHY MAN CREATES class --- Images of Beauty

I start with the Venus of Willendorf and go through all the "eras" and
cultures, trying to find as many Venus' as I can. My question is always,
what was the thinking?, what caused the
image ?, what societal influences and technology caused the image? Right now
I am up to Cindy Sherman with where I end, but that will be revised soon.
(Just don't quite have the courage to include Koons)
and
I always end with slides side by side --the Venus of Willendorf and de
kooning's Woman I
what has changed? what is the influence? has anything changed?

my kids are pretty keen
They have decided that all male artists are voyeurs, not much has changed
AND They just can't get the boobs right!

I'm smiling
Patty

---