Re: doing your own art work

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 05:27:15 PDT

> Does anyone belong to any art groups or similar groups that
> allow you to showcase or even sell your artwork? I'm in
> Illinois and I haven't joined one yet. I was wondering if it was worth it?
> Sal

Guess I'm wondering what you mean specifically. There are organizations
that exist such as OPA (Oil Painters of America) or PAPA (Plein Air Painters
of America) which have shows. You often get juried or selected by means of
application and participation in shows with annual dues thereafter. I am a
member of NAPPAP (National Academy of Professional Plein Air Painters) which
consists of some great artists, many that have written art books such as
Frank LaLumia. We have a show coming up in the year 2005 at the National
Arts building in New York....

On the other hand, in areas such as Chicago...there is the Palette and
Chisel Academy, where as a member you can paint from live models,
stilllifes, participate in shows..take workshops, etc; some fine artists
have come from that group including Richard Schmid.

I am in the process right now of organizing a plein air painter's group in
the northern midwest...Wisconsin, Minnesota, and upper Michigan that
hopefully will find members getting out and painting together; organize
shows, etc;

Larry Seiler
NAPPAP-
http://nhstudios.com/NAPPAP/NAPPAPFrameSet.html