Re: RE: Visual Culture art ed questions

---------

From: Esa Tipton (tmtartseducation_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 00:22:19 PDT

Part of the problem in understanding VCAE from my
perspective is that people need to transcend the
dualities of western points of view and thinking. It's
not either/or thinking. VCAE redefines the museum,
what isin the museum, how it got there, and what place
it
occupies. It questions the dialogue we have learned to
repeat about what is important and from my point of
view, let's our students engage with the material from
new reference points.

I'd like to go back to Crispin's thinking by saying
that aesthetics, as it as evolved, is not really
intended for the non-educated layperson to understand,
or for that matter, the post-modern aesthetic
displayed in museums. It is a specialized field of
study for intellectuals in academic circles.

He makes the point that if laypeople could really
understand the objects of modern/post-modern art and
what the aestheticians are saying, they would abandon
it and develop another escoteric code for themselves.
While exaggerating to some degree, obviously, he makes
an important point about what is even considered art
by western culture, its institutions, and the
products it esteems.

VCAE should help us as teachers redefine how we talk
about art, what we do with visual artifacts with our
students, and how we use them in the classroom. It's a
way of developing new constructs of thought and
thinking. This is the paradigm shift.

I will go further that the model we use in DBAE is
structurally flawed in terms of incorporating what we
know about visual processing and brain-based learning,
how students best learn and how to engage them in
their own processes.

This is also a paradigm shift. The material may be
difficult to grasp if we are still trying to pidgeon
hole it into our existing curricula. But like art, we
we start at one point and reach an 'aha' at another,
let VCAE gestate and see what happens. Remember, if
things aren't difficult, our brains aren't learning.

Teresa