Re: RE: Visual Culture art ed questions

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 19:30:19 PDT

Boy, when I asked artsednetters what they thought about VCAE- y'all really
do some talking. Whew! While I know visual culture is not a new thing, it
is for me and most of the art teachers to whom I talk. Most pre-service
teachers still in college haven't even heard of it. But through my readings
(and "listening" to all of you so far), I've come to believe that there
hasn't been an official dogma published about what VCAE is. Rather, several
writers referring to it and offering their interpretations of it.

Therefore, I think you CAN have varying degrees of incorporating elements of
our visual culture into an existing DBAE curriculum. The comparison to art
education's early ideas in picture study is really interesting in that
students learn through analysis of images rather than just making them. And
not just museum accepted images, but, ALSO museum accepted images. Does
that make sense? Building upon what we're already calling fine art through
our contemporary eyes of anime, playstation, and MTV. Again that's my
personal interpretation of it.

To (not really) answer Dawn's questions, I think we constantly re-evaluate
art history every time we move forward. Just like every period in art
history has tried to separate from what came before it, we are trying to see
it again for the first time. I don't think the art museum will or should
become inclusive for VCAE's sake but I think it will because artists are
using contemporary means to express through "popular" images from our visual
culture.

I recognized that Henry was back on the list when I found myself looking up
half the message in my desk dictionary and wondering if I'm the only one who
doesn't get everything he says. Welcome back, Henry. It's been a while,
hasn't it? You definitely bring a unique dialogue to the list and I like to
celebrate diversity.

Dictionary in hand- Michelle Harrell