Re: RE: Visual Culture art ed questions

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 17:35:07 PDT

--- Esa Tipton <tmtartseducation@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think Crispin Satwell in "teaching Non-Western
> Aesthetics" states the nature of VCAE perfectly -
> that
> "modernism with its systematic purgation of
> extra-artistic content, with its formalism and its
> attack on pleasure and interest and desire, with its
> abstraction, atonality and self-reference, is
> defined
> by its exclusions." "Western aesthetics is the only
> tradition that performs this particular set of
> exclusions."
>
> VCAE calls for a "broader definition of art, one
> that
> makes art a way of making or experiencing things
> rather than a set of objects or genres or geniuses
> or
> institutions."

So how much of post/modern/Western aesthetics is VCAE
willing to address?

What would the response be to someone who likes the
museum, but doesn't feel like they understand it?

Is the proposal that we re-evaluate art history,
become more inclusive from here on out, or what?

Does Visual culture become part of the museum
institution or remain part of another realm?

I'm thinking these questions may not be phrased as
clearly as they are in my head, but I'd be grateful if
anyone attempted to respond.

Dawn in Houston