Re: RE: Re: Visual Culture & Students

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 17:07:54 PDT

--- Susan M Kipp <smkipp@pps.k12.or.us> wrote:
I still find DBAE
> very useful. But after
> immersing myself in this VCAE dialogue, I realize
> that I've been doing
> that, too. I don't think that they necessarily have
> to be seen as
> incompatible. But then, I'm not a purist anything.

I have to comment on this because I have recently
found out that there are a lot of art teachers out
there who still are altogether unaware of the likes of
DBAE, muchless VCAE. Of course, the artsednetters are
all hip, becasue they're here and staying on top of
current trends(much to the benefit of their students
and communities.)

The way things work, at least what I've discovered in
Houston, is that many positions are filled with fine
art majors who did a general deficiency or alternative
certification. Some of them have half of brain about
art history and production, but I sincerely doubt
aesthetics, or critiques for that matter, even enter
the picture. I just observed a teacher who emphasizes
a make and take, seasonal curriculum (and I took 6
days off to do it, no less.) I know of two other
schools that have long term subs filling the positions
with no prior art experience. So, at this point I'd
be thrilled to see some DBAE with a little VCAE thrown
in.

And I often wonder, dear god, why isn't Kimberly
Herbert in an art classroom...

Until the day, thanks for letting me tag along with
those of you who are on the ball.

Dawn in Houston