Re: Visual Culture questions

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 16:43:52 PDT

--- Marcia Scurfield <mkscurfield@kscable.com> wrote:
> You mention "Bates' book terminology"--Is that Jane
> Bates--"Becoming an Art
> Teacher"? She is the keynote speaker for our KAEA
> fall conference in
> Wichita, October 24-26, 2002

Yes- the pricy little book about bats!
I'm sure what she says will be amusing.

We used her continuum plan (goals, concepts, exemplar,
processes, product-in whatever order you conceive of
them)...I love the ideas I came up with using this
little thought stimulator. Have you tried it?

Professor had us begin with visual culture as a
cultural exemplar. Several classmates came up with
some cool things - one product was an ad about ads.
From my perspective, a lot of us fell back on what our
comfort levels were: ad art, murals (outsider art),
and I guess what might fall under some kind of museum
culture label(Pop art, ad for museum show, etc.)

We didn't have any readings on visual culture. I
still don't feel totally comfortable with it.
Especially aesthetically, but I'm glad to be able to
hash it out here. Professor says its not such a big
deal - that I should not to get too bogged down, but I
do have a tendency to overthink things.

Dawn in Houston