Re: RE: Visual Culture art ed questions

---------

From: Esa Tipton (tmtartseducation_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 13:30:51 PDT

I think Crispin Satwell in "teaching Non-Western
Aesthetics" states the nature of VCAE perfectly - that
"modernism with its systematic purgation of
extra-artistic content, with its formalism and its
attack on pleasure and interest and desire, with its
abstraction, atonality and self-reference, is defined
by its exclusions." "Western aesthetics is the only
tradition that performs this particular set of
exclusions."

VCAE calls for a "broader definition of art, one that
makes art a way of making or experiencing things
rather than a set of objects or genres or geniuses or
institutions."

It is not an overlay to DBAE execept for people who
are putting their toes in the water and afraid to jump
in. It is a paradigm shift in the way we see, think,
and cognate.

Teresa