Re: Visual Culture & Students

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (hillmjan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 04:42:45 PDT

I've been playing all year with teaching a generailzed set of
conventions along the lines of the Aztec codexes and some early Buddhist
art I've run into. Very simple and minimal but developmentally a major
step along the line. First and Second graders are doing better faces
than the 4th and 5th graders over all now. In class at least, next year
I'lll staert expecting to see it reflected in their classrooms and on
the bulletin boards.

Henry, this sounds interesting - giving the students additional visual
'vocabultary' for their artwork. Could you explain in greater detail?

Jan

---