Re: our lives (jobs) and art

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 04:07:32 PDT

In a message dated 05/04/2002 8:58:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
MSQU@atlantic.net writes:

> But there is another
> element to this. Like previously mentioned. Some of us are consumed by our
> job at school or our vocation as teachers. I know I was for years. I has
> taken a lot of hard work to try and break loose. I am in the process of
> making the transition from teacher back to artist. In this process, I am
> finding I have to make choices. I have to choose not to attend certain
> conferences and meeting about art education and redirect my time and
> attention to being a professional artist.

Very well put, Martha. Again, as I have stated before- it's a matter of
PRIORITIES, of choices. What you wrote sounds like me. I feel consumed by
everything- I feel consumed by life. I love this feeling! I love this
feeling more only in the past few years, as before this I allowed myself to
only be consumed by my role as an art teacher. The key to the happiness is
allocating time in the way that makes you feel really satisfied and directed
in what you really want to do. I learned to hard way to make choices, as I
was wrongfully hurt by situations and people who didn't appreciate my efforts
and my sincerity. I decided to use the lessons these situations taught me by
redirecting my efforts and making myself stronger!

Now, my life of "free time" is orchestrated by most of what I want to do-
creating art, working out at the gym, working a little overtime (not the 6-7
hours a day overtime at school that I used to do), LIATA, socializing,
grandmothering, and more! Of course there's still the laundry, cleaning,
etc...that which I don't really want to do...LOL...
Susan on Long Island
p.s...BTW, Martha, are you from NY, upstate? Your name sounds familiar.

---