RE: job interview

---------

From: Martha Ulakovits (MSQU_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 04 2002 - 06:44:56 PDT

You didn't mention whether you are interviewing for a job at an elementary
middle or high school.
At most elementary schools, the principal has no idea what a good art
curriculum looks like or what a good art teacher does. They are mainly
concerned with will you make the school look pretty. Can you handle
discipline. Will you be "flexible" Translation: Will you take as many
classes as they can stuff into a day without breaking the union contract.
Will you work through your lunch and stay after school to put displays up
around the school. Will you make cute little gifts for mother's day and all
the other holidays. Will you work overtime to decorate for numerous school
events. Will you take orders from the classroom teachers and the pta prez.
They all have "suggestions." Will you do all this on a budget of $200.00 for
600 students-and smile all the time.
On the other hand, if you perchance do interview with a principal that has
an informed art supervisor or other art teacher present, expect to answer
questions like: Why do you think art is important? What is your philosophy
of teaching? How will you plan your curriculum? What is your discipline
plan? Are you familiar with DBAE? The principles and elements of design?
What methods of assessment do you use.How would you define an integrated
curriculum? How will you assess the efficacy of your lessons. How do you
intend to communicate with the families and community? Do you plan to join
and any professional organizations? What workshops or in-services have you
attended in the last three years? How do you view your relationship with
other teachers and with the rest of the school? Funding is always an issue.
Have you written any grants? Would you be willing to?
Most principals also ask if you think it is important for the students to
like you. I think you can tell how knowledgeable the principal is by her/his
questions. But what questions will you ask ? What is the schedule like? How
large are the classes? What is expected in terms of committee work? What is
the budget? Is the room equipped? How important does he/she feel art is?
Will they support your efforts to bring a good program to the school?
Martha