Re: Bunki's new site...

---------

From: Judie (judiej50_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 04 2002 - 04:37:42 PDT

Exactly!!!!! My high school students are very reluctant to comment on
their peers' work, after years of class critiques. We have class critiques
almost daily as they are working on their projects. Many times when they
have a question for me--don't know what to do next, etc., I have them hold
up the work for the class to see and make comments. I discourage comments
like "I like it". They must explain why they like it (spoken in art terms,
i.e. the way the elements and principles are used in the piece) and to
avoid negative comments, I ask the students to offer suggestions of what
they would do to change or improve the work it it were theirs.

I also explain that it is best to have others look at and critique the work
while it is in process, because they will get viewer feedback before it
goes on display.

Judie on a rainy, gloomy Saturday morning during my Spring Art Show in Atlanta.

P.S. My AP students' art show is this Thursday evening , then we mail the
portfolios on Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>In a message dated 05/03/2002 8:23:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>mwhiteaz@cybertrails.com writes:
>

>>We instruct our students how to do a critique making positive remarks
>>along with constructive criticism (and justifying the
>>statements by pointing out specific points); this approach is less
>>threatening to an insecure person.
>>

>Very well said! We don't need to rattle the hornet's nest. Be constructive.
>
>Ken Schwab ---

---