Re: doing your own art work

---------

MarshArt_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 16:53:37 PDT

In a message dated 5/3/02 6:01:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time, pknott@enter.net
writes:

> I'm thinking that we have gotten too caught up in philosophies, and
> standards, and the latest thing to do, and have forgotten that art making
> is a careful process-- with thinking and choices.

I have studied with several nationally known artists, in many workshops, and
ALL of them painted for the class and demonstrated their thinking processes
as well as techniques. These teachers were invaluable resources and shortened
the years that it might have taken me to develop in my personal art. One in
particular, Mary Todd Beam, helped me breakthrough into experimental media.
She demonstrated profusely over one week. I felt so liberated from
traditional techniques and free to express myself in my own way with my
own'marks' and style. As a result, I began to win many awards and just found
out today that I took Honorable Mention in an international show with the
Society of Experimental Artists. Much of my success I owe to these teachers
who "painted" for me.

I think that painting for the students and explaining what I am thinking
when I make art decisions is a wonderful way for them to grasp the art
process in its entirety. We need to be prudent however, to let them express
in their own style and not put expectations on students to mimic us. We
should be the jumping off point for them.

Marsha

---