Re: doing your own art work

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 14:48:56 PDT

henry writes:
> If I had a bigger room I'd set up a small corner as a micro-studio and
> keep some ongoing work up to be observed in process.

One of the best painting teachers I ever had mostly worked on painting. He
would set up something and paint and ask us to gather around and "say" why
he was making the choices he was making as he worked. It forced us (the
students) to truly analyze everything from simple color mixing to
composition to content. There was no trivializing, it was honest
engagement in the process.
Another great teacher of mine would weekly do a slide show. "What do you
see? " he would ask. So many times he would say "NO, that's not what you see
that's what you think you see"
From him I learned to be absolutely objective about the view and direction
through use of all the elements and principles... and then make
interpretations.

I'm thinking that we have gotten too caught up in philosophies, and
standards, and the latest thing to do, and have forgotten that art making is
a careful process-- with thinking and choices.
It is communication at the most basic level... and often that thinking and
choice comes only from the gut
sometimes I think I would like not to teach art history beyond the cave
painters.

sometimes, I want my students to become unsophisticated
They are possessed by a push button world where everything is immediate and
automatic. I want them to know that art making is slow and thoughtful (even
when done on electronic medium).
I am tired of fluff, and obsession, and offense.

The need to make, the need to express, I believe, is inherent in all of us.
More and more I see art making time being taken for reading ,writing, and
math objectives.
Where are the advocates for just putting your hands into a mound of mud and
making something from it, solely for the making of it, without the
justification of the other objectives???

Those ivory tower types, who haven't been in a classroom for years, or even
have made art, are dictating what we know is effective instruction
and we fall victim to it

Patty
and P.S.
flower arranging is NOT art