Re: Surrealism

---------

From: Esa Tipton (tmtartseducation_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 09:46:54 PDT

Living in the country where surrealism was born (not
France), I can tell you that surrealism goes beyond
Freud to a basic anarchy of structure; to place of
discontinuous objects placed together in order to
create choas and crisis in the mind of the viewer, to
bring them to a higher level of experience by piercing
the veil of socially prescribed reality. There is an
element of shock, of unfamiliarity, of intentionality.
Fantasy art relates to the imagery of the person
imagining form to themselves with no necessary social
or cultural context, but surealism creates
new forms of interaction between viewer and object and
ultimately to society. To understand surrealism, you
need to understand subterfuge, cultural domination,
and anarchy. Surrealism is alive and well in Czech
Republic!
Teresa