Re: "Visual Culture Art ED" was: Are there any new ideas out there?

---------

From: Esa Tipton (tmtartseducation_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 09:36:01 PDT

--- henry taylor <tortolitascom@netscape.net> wrote:
> > Michelle Harrell wrote: (quite a while back)
> > I really want to hear from some of you art
> teachers who still want to focus
> > mostly on creative expression above this idea
> about Visual Culture

It's quite interesting to me that the discussion on
VCAE seems to think this is a new phenomenon. Outside
of America, Visual Culture studies are accepted
degrees in universities and semiotics is an accepted
part of art education. As far as I am concerned,
America is just behind the eight-ball on the topic.
Get up to speed, Henry, et. al. It was Anderson who
pointed out in the 1980's that American art education
was not up to speed in terms of multicultural and
multinational curriculum. In terms of decoding visual
imagery outside of western aesthetics, America is
sorely behind.
Teresa