surrealism vs fantasy

---------

From: Fields, Linda (fieldsl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 07:55:16 PDT

Interesting that this thread should come up now-I have just started teaching
fantasy and surrealism. Discovering Art History lumps them together in the
same chapter. When trying to explain to my kids, I have told them that to me
fantasy is based more on fairy tales, legends, and folktales (a la Chagall)
and surrealism is "beyond reality", i.e., putting ordinary objects in
extra-ordinary situations or settings. Linda in NC

---