Re: Surreal-vs-Fantasy

---------

KSchiavo00_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 17:29:51 PDT

In a message dated 05/02/2002 2:01:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
NMTchr@aol.com writes:

> Is all fantasy art surreal? ...and vice-versa.

It is my understanding that the term "surreal" referenced the bazarre,
unconventional imagery which is often found in mental, dream-like states.
Here optical illusions are abundant and artistic meaning is based on
projecting personal philisophical attitutdes through these strange images.
Fantasy on the other hand -even though images do not promote "realism" -are
based in pure asthetics- what appeals to the viewer. These images are often
rooted within our childhood and messages conveyed are usually more general
based.
Surrealism marked a movement in time where there was a strong focus on the
bizarre which invoked a strong, emotional response by its viewers. The
largest promoter of Fantasy was Disney. He brought the imagination to life
with images of fairies and magic which touched us all.
         When comparing and contrasting you may want to start with the
basics- color, shapes, lines, detail, repetition etc... You may find that it
is not as hard to distinquish the two as much as you thought.
Kathy in Kalamazoo

---