Re: Surreal-vs-Fantasy

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 17:07:17 PDT

This will be an interesting thread.

My understanding of surrealism is that it was a response to Freud and
the attempt to interpret the unconscious mind as it is expressed or
manifest in the dream state. If you come anywhere close to defining
Freud then Surrealism should be a piece of cake.

I present it to the little tads as using real things and putting them
together in an unreal way. Real things arranged without being
constrained by reality. When you dream you have real things in your
dreams but there are no limitations on how these real things relate to
each other.

I looked up fantasy (from Old French -implies lack of restraint in
imagination - usually pleasant) and bizarre (French & Spanish -
strange because of startling contrasts)

Since all the words are based on the same language (French) there
should be a distinct, even though subtle, difference in each word.

I am eager to hear other opinions!
Sharon ~ NJ
----------
>From: NMTchr@aol.com
>Subject: Surreal-vs-Fantasy
>Date: Thu, May 2, 2002, 5:00 PM

> Hola from the great southwest!
>
> A student just "stumped" me with an inquiry and I figured I'd get a better
> (and faster) response from all your bright-and-experienced minds [ than if
> I researched it myself].

> The question: Is all fantasy art surreal? ...and vice-versa.

> I have a list of terms that help identify art as surreal, but I'm having
> difficulty debating how the two genres (?)are different - or are they?

> Help???

> Thanks!

---