Re: Surreal-vs-Fantasy

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 15:46:13 PDT

I may be way off kilter here, but I had always believed that fantasy art is
the cartoon-ish art that students are mesmerized by - the ones with dragons,
superheros, etc. (do you remember "Heavy Metal"?). It is not surreal in that
surreal art is more "dream-like", or that fits the phrase "to take the
everyday and make it strange". I believe that the artist's intentions are
different. Please correct me if I'm misinformed! :-)
~Michal
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> A student just "stumped" me with an inquiry and I figured I'd get a better
(and faster) response from all your bright-and-experienced minds [ than if I
researched it myself].

> The question: Is all fantasy art surreal? ...and vice-versa.
>
> I have a list of terms that help identify art as surreal, but I'm having
difficulty debating how the two genres (?)are different - or are they?