RE: measuring art teacher excellence

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 14:02:31 PDT

I'm always a little disturbed about pitting teacher against teacher in order
to achieve some kind of recognition. The ideas presented smack of merit pay
and go contrary to my strong support of teacher associations advocacy of
just what teacher's do.
It is the administrations job to hire the best they can find for a position,
and if that teacher fails to meet expectations, then do their best to give
support and training to help that teacher achieve what is expected. If that
fails get rid of the teacher.

I for one, am having a hard time with "standards. " Isn't the creation of
art totally against any kind of standard?

I came across this article today:

> Creativity Marks Teaching Honorees
> The Washington Post, May 02
> http://www.enc.org/redirect/ehn/?ehn_id=15103

I'd much rather honor creativity then meeting standards

Patty

---