Re: Native American resources

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 08:06:13 PDT

Betty Bowen wrote:

> My school has learned that we have some $$ for the library to spend on
> Native American resources. I can suggest some art-related things.

Betty,

Back in the 70s or 80s PBS had a series on contemporary Indian artists,
including Helen Hardin, Medicine Flower, Maria Martinez, Allan Houser,
and Charles Loloma, among others. These artists all use motifs and
themes from their own cultures, but with contemporary media or
techniques. My students (I teach on a rez) find them fascinating, even
though the 45-60 minute videos are longer than their normal attention
span. There is also a beautiful video called "Beyond Tradition" with a
similar theme as the PBS series (there's a book, too).

I checked one of my catalogs and found Beyond Tradition and Maria in Art
Video World.

Maggie

---