Re: sharing (longish)

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 16:44:20 PDT

When I was in high school, my poor art teacher told me
that I should be an art teacher. I saw how tired she
was, how disrespected she was, and how little she
actually taught and I thought NO WAY! I adored art,
but I knew that there was so much more out there that
I hadn't learned, and I was scared to be an art major.
I instead went into elementary ed. My sophomore year I
was supposed to declare my concentration. Social
studies? Math? Reading?- none of that appealed me and
I was wondering "what did I get myself into?" Well,
art was a concentration choice, and my good friend (an
art major) told me to go for it. I was accepted into
the art department and soon found out that I would be
in school another 4 years. I cried and cried thinking,
what did I get myself into? Four years later, I
graduated, I've been teaching two years, and I am
loving my job! My confidence is at an all time high
and I cannot believe how much I have learned about my
own art by teaching. I do not regret the extra student
loans one bit. I often think about how miserable I
would be teaching math and reading to the exact same
group of kids all day long for a year.
I too, feel guilty for not making my own art as much
as I'd like, but my creativity comes through when
lesson planning and beautifying the school. I just
finished a huge 140 ft long mural.
Jayna