Re: I'd love you to share......

---------

From: sbacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 15:41:02 PDT

Oh, Teresa,

I think you are right. We do become consumed with the everyday details of our
lives. The drive to be our best at what we do...but without making time to be
artists, I guess we truly aren't working to our potential, are we?

It is so much easier or convenient to neglect or ignore ourselves than it is
someone else important to us. What is it with us givers that makes us think
we have something worthy of giving to eveyone but ourselves?

Thanks for your wise words.

Sandy

> I would like to add to Michelle's excellent comments
> that the guilt we feel is the separation between our
> lives and our "art" - whatever form it takes. It's
> especially true more and more with increasing
> expectations of the classroom teacher to meet
> district, state, federal and accredidational
> standards. We feel guilt over the way in which our
> lives become consumed by the detail of everyday
> existence, especially that of the full-time art
> teacher ....

> Guilt should be a motivator to get back in touch with the
> part of ourselves we abandoned with justified neglect.
> To engage with the dialogue within and not just model
> and show it to others what it's potentiality may give
> - that is the real challenge of an art teacher....

---