RE: measuring art teacher excellence

---------

From: Christa Wise (cwise_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 10:14:23 PDT

>Something you could try - not that it is the only way - but you could use a
>model based on National Boards Certification.

I agree. I just received Board Certification last year, and I thought the
assessment strategies were very clever.

In a nutshell:
        1. Teachers demonstrate "Teaching over Time, showing follow-thru by
storyboarding with photos tocdemonstate increased student competance over a
3 week to 3 month period.
        2. Teachers engage students to talk about art - 20 minute video with
written commentary with visuals.
        3. Teachers demonstrate effective, creative assessment strategies
documented by photos of work, examples of assessment instruments, and
written commentary (always about 10 pages on what you planned, how it went,
and how you would make it better).
        4. Teachers demonstrate a lesson that uses historical artifacts/teaching
tools, demo (ten minute unedited video) followed by another video (a few
classes later, showing student progress and teacher interaction (ten more
minutes of video).
        5. Teachers show how they interface with the community, the parents, and
the children.
        6. Then you did it all over again, responding to new but related prompts)
in an eight-hour test (kind of like "orals")on a computer at Sylvan
Learning Center.

Actually, a listing of awards and honors was discouraged. You were to show
how what you did "affected the students." For example, a teacher who
actually started a new school and wrote textbooks was not certified because
there was no demonstrated connection in the written text of how this
changed the lives of students. "Woo hoo, look what I did" is not how it
operates. "See how I transformed the lives of these students" was the main
thrust.
Christa

---