Re: Need to find $$$

---------

From: Trish Gorman (TrishGorman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 18:42:53 PDT

Karen-
Find the richest person in your community and write to them. Include a picture of her and of some of her work. Explain her talent, her background, scholarship awards and further need. Ask if they would consider reviewing her work, and if they would consider helping with tuition assistance. They may like to meet with the two of to get to know her a little.
I figure, nothing ventured , nothing gained. It's a world of have and have-nots. If you are a have-not, you have to think outside the box and be bold.
There is a man in my community who gave 6 million dollars to a college for an art center. Would he not consider $13,000 for a talented and underprivelaged kid with an opportunity to do something great?
Jonathan Kozel writes about inner city kids. He commented about the number of people who contacted him about funding education opportunities for one boy he wrote a great deal about. He writes them back saying that boy is now well taken care of, but how about this girl, or this other boy...
I believe people like to help others, and personal stories--and connections--are powerful. So is being bold for a particularly talented and needy student.
Go for it!!
Trish
(ps--of couse--get parental permission if she's under 18, her's if she's over.)