Re: Chromacryl paint pump

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 05:05:52 PDT

> Are chromacryl paints any good? I'd much rather use them
> than anything in a tube with my students because the tubes
> seem so wasteful. Jane

Jane, I have found only one thing that disappoints me with having the
convenience of the Chromacryl 1/2 gals, and that is the color red IMO does
not have enough polymer content in it. When it comes time to brush a gloss
medium varnish over the finished dry painting, I've seen the red come loose
and smear student's works. As a result, 2 things could be done...one have
the kids mix a bit of acrylic medium into their red when they set up their
palette, or two...use a spray such as a Krylon for a varnish instead of a
brush on.

We did a large Van Gogh Starry Night wall mural this year, about 8' x 10'
using the Chromacryls and things went fine. I've used Chromacryl's
professional grade, "Atelier" near religiously for the first 15 years of my
painting acrylics. From that time I personally switched to the 200ml
Galeria acrylics which are in a convenient squeeze bottle with a cap lid and
cost about $9-$10 per bottle of color. For the kids however, you can't go
wrong with the Chromacryls. In fact, between those and tempera paints, you
add enough water and you can teach the kids to use them in a manner that
will reap watercolor results. Save on pan sets that way as well.

Larry

---