Re: I'd love you to share......

---------

From: Esa Tipton (tmtartseducation_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 01:27:37 PDT

I would like to add to Michelle's excellent comments
that the guilt we feel is the separation between our
lives and our "art" - whatever form it takes. It's
especially true more and more with increasing
expectations of the classroom teacher to meet
district, state, federal and accredidational
standards. We feel guilt over the way in which our
lives become consumed by the detail of everyday
existence, especially that of the full-time art
teacher providing production-belt style art lessons in
schools. Overworking keeps us from experiencing the
arts in ourselves or spending more time being enriched
by the arts of others in our communities.

We become consumed and lose sight of our own process,
that which gives us joy and feeds our soul. Guilt
should be a motivator to get back in touch with the
part of ourselves we abandoned with justified neglect.
To engage with the dialogue within and not just model
and show it to others what it's potentiality may give
- that is the real challenge of an art teacher,
because we know how much it can give and then fail to
give it to ourselves.
Teresa