Re: "artist in residence"-definition?

From: Alasann1
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 07:55:03 PDT

    In the state of Kentucky the term Artist in Residence refers to a person who
    has:
        -gone through a screening by a group jury of peers as to studio
    qualifications and fine art accomplishment
        -been put on a Roster listing for the State so that they may be qualified
    for hiring through any of a vast # of grant programs offered by the state
        -has had training in Education Reform and Professional development as
    well as
    instruction (presumably but not always in a classroom setting)
        -maintains an exhibition/performance/publication schedule that is
    commiserate with the time provided by the residency
    I am one of these such creatures.
    I have served for 5 years in this capacity doing 9 month residencies in a
    school in my district. (I have done this while getting my MA)
    I am certified K-12.
    My current series of paintings is from photos taken in Santa Fe and I have
    worked most prevalently in found object assemblages for the past 10 years.

    I am a mom of three peering at the workplace and searching for alternatives.

    If I may be of any help to you concerning this program, I would be happy to.
    The Kentucky Arts Council takes our of state artists from time to time. (The
    kicker would be your ability to come and work here in the state.)
    There are many more programs than just the art-in-the-school programs.

    ---