Re: "artist in residence"-definition? reply

From: John Antoine Labadie (labadie)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 07:14:27 PDT

    > Can anyone tell me exactly what it means to be an "artist in
    > residence"?
    >
    > I was listed that way on my school's new promotional video (a decision
    > made by the director of admissions since he knows I'm a professional
    > artist as well as a teacher), but I'm not sure if that's right--though
    > I doubt if they'll edit the video to change it, if it's not right!
    >
    > Thanks--
    >
    > Sharon

    An interesting question. In my expereince the term "artist-in-
    residence" is most often used to define the role of an individual who
    is PRIMARILY doing studio work ... as opposed to teaching, grant-
    writing, administrating, etc., within an institution or organization of
    some sort. Certainly there is some elasticity in how this definition
    is applied ... but one's role is either artist or other ... a binary sort
    of thing.

    John

    ---